Here is the summary of the November 28th, 2017 Business Meeting for the Incipient Shire of Grenemere. In case you are confused about names, I (Jacquelyn, pending Minha) am trying to use our members’ SCA names if they have them.
- Seneschal: Jerusha submitted her first report as Seneschal, and reminds us we need to begin thinking about our group charter, and have that submitted sometime in the near future. Our charter is what will include rules on officer elections, term limits/rules, voting system, and more. She also mentioned that, to be a functioning SCA chapter, we must put on at least one annual event. It does not have to be a kingdom-wide/level event, just simply, an annual event. She suggested hosting Festivus annually would be a simple solution. Discussion on that will be at upcoming gatherings/meetings.
- Herald: Jacquelyn (pending, Minha) can take any questions about getting an SCA name in the works, and submitting it. Contact her if you have such questions.
- Exchequer: Fiona has submitted her first report as Exchequer, and is familiarizing herself with the policies and forms required of the office. A new promotion at her job might possibly mean her workload will be too much to operate the office, but time will tell, and Nan Clancy is willing to fill the position if need be.
- Arts & Sciences: Yehoshua summarized the A&S activities since the last meeting, that being the scroll case-making session and the two meet-ups with Sven Karlson for various crafts. He recommended that those who attended and enjoyed crafting with Sven, that you let the kingdom know. People can be recommended to the Kingdom online, here: http://www.midrealm.org/op/recommend/login.php?from=/op/recommend/ Allisandre (spelling?) has offered to teach for one of our A&S meets, so we are considering that for January’s A&S meeting.
- Chatelaine: Jacque was not in attendance, but she has been compiling our Gold Key diligently, and has gotten in contact with the kingdom chatelaines, and has attended a few meet-ups already. If you would like to donate anything to the Shire Gold Key, please contact her.
- Webminister: Laurentius has now made our website live! Visit it at grenemere.org. All future news and notifications will be posted there, and then auto-shared to a Facebook page under our name (a page, not a group, which we invite you all to follow), from which our officers will share those updates to our shire’s Facebook group. There is also a calendar on our new website that should allow you to add events to your personal calendars, especially if you use Google calendar. There are many more features of the website, so please take a moment to scope it out.
- Flaming Gryphon Baronial 12th Night Updates: 12th Night is in/near Dayton, and since we are likely going to be there late as a shire, to help clean up after feast, Jerusha is wondering who might need a place to sleep that night, so she can get a tally to the person offering their house-space to us. As a shire we also need to work on making the site tokens for the event, and so there will be a craft table at our holiday event where we can work on those.
- Holiday Gathering Planning (Festivus): The suggested donation for building is $100. To cover that cost, at the event we will “pass the hat” to collect donations for that, or we could hold a 50/50 raffle and use that to cover the donation. The site open at 9am. Jerusha will compile a schedule, but here is a list of (some, if not all) of the events at Festivus:
- Making site tokens for 12th Night (all day)
- Possible Classes: viking apron-making, byzantine dress, drop spindle, chinese calligraphy
- Open Gaming hosted by Keith Hansel
- Open Sewing
- Demo Opportunity Updates (St Marys Library, Lake Campus): The St. Marys Public Library demo will be tabled until Feb. The Lake Campus demo will be in the spring term, likely Feb or March, on a Tuesday, for about 3 hours. Yehoshua would like it to be a sampler of everything SCA, with a sort of crafters’ fair, a hard suit/heavy fighting demo, and/or fencing, possibly dance and bardic if we can enlist such specialists from local areas for the event. More details will be had by 12th Night.
- Shire Heraldry Discussion: All of the thus-far proposed, and heralds-approved shire heraldry will be posted in the Facebook group in an album and we will vote on the three with the most “likes”.
- Grand Lake Comic Con Opportunity: Jerusha is running an event at the Celina library, on August 18th, and would like to have us do an outdoor demo and have a table/booth at the event to promote the Shire.
- Fighter Practice Discussion: We have a Marshal (named Michael) willing to travel and provide us fight practices. The next task would then be to find a year-round (indoor) place to hold these practices. Please give any suggestions for large, roofed and walled from the elements places in the Mercer/Auglaize region. Preferably for cheap or free because we do not currently have any Shire money. Shadowed Stars (Ft Wayne) was also looking for such a place to winter their fight practices, and they might join us if the space we find is large and practical enough.
- Upcoming Events: Jerusha will add local events to our grenemere.org calendar, if you would like to reference that. However a few upcoming ones are Yule Feast, and our own Festivus event. Many holiday-themed events can be found across the Kingdom on the midrealm.org calendar as well. There are no Shire Meetings in December. Our only gathering is Dec 17th for Festivus. The only Thrown Weapons practice in December is on the 10th, at the usual location.